Yes, it's true - long filenames may be shortened to something like

Long filename.document -> longfi~1.doc

To munge them into 8.3 format. Without looking at the code I assume that
it is expanding ~dpage into /home/dpage or whatever? If so, I'd be
inclined to leave it - tilde isn't used like that on Windows.

Regards, Dave

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq