Alvaro Herrera wrote:

A question for interested parties.  I'm thinking in handling the
user/password issue by reading the flat files (the copies of pg_shadow,
pg_database, etc).

The only thing that I'd need to modify is add the datdba field to
pg_database, so we can figure out an appropiate user for vacuuming each
database.

What do people think?

I probably don't understand all the issue involved here but reading pg_shadow by hand seems problematic. Do you constantly re-read it? What happens when a new user is added etc....

Can't autovacuum run as a super-user that can vacuum anything?