Andreas Pflug wrote:

We're having a growing zoo of daemons that can be regarded as tightly integrated server add-on processes (slony, autovac, pgAgent), and it would be really nice (say: win32 users are used to it, thus requiring it) to have a single point of control.

Maybe a super daemon (in win32 probably pg_ctl), controlling postmaster and all those helper processes (accessible through pgsql functions, of course) would be the solition. This keeps the kernel clean, separates backend shmem from helper processes and enables control over all processes.

And this will be ready when? I thought we were discussing what could be done regarding AVitB between now and feature freeze for 8.1 in about 2 weeks. This surely doesn't come into that category.

cheers

andrew

              http://archives.postgresql.org