David Fetter wrote:

On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 11:42:59AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
Renaming data directories around is not that uncommon,

With all due respect, I believe that this falls under the category of
prying off cover plates.  When people do this, they're responsible for
knowing what they're about, and taking the consequences if they don't.

In other words, it's pilot error, and that's Not Our Problem.

We provide many defences against pilot error. So does the Air Force - that's part of why you see pilots wearing parachutes.

More to the point, there's not much compelling reason *not* to do this.

cheers

andrew

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq