There are other reasons for restricting it:
 * truncate takes a much stronger lock than a plain delete does.
 * truncate is not MVCC-safe.

I don't really agree with the viewpoint that truncate is just a quick
DELETE, and so I do not agree that DELETE permissions should be enough
to let you do a TRUNCATE.

Ah. I didn't realise that 2nd point. I don't care so much about the stronger lock in my application.

Chris