Tom Lane wrote:

Andrew Dunstan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
How about if we do something like this?:

. initdb creates a tmpdir inside the datadir
. a new GUC var called allowed_copy_locations which is a PATH type string specifying what directories we can copy to/from. This would by default be "$tmpdir"

Given that COPY to/from a file is already allowed only to superusers,
I'm not sure how effective a GUC variable will be in constraining what
they do with it.  We'd have to at least restrict it to SIGHUP, which'd
mean you couldn't change it without the ability to write the config
file.

If we actually had an API for remote config changes, rather than just allowing file system level access, one might have a category of settings that could not be set remotely - this would be a prime candidate ;-)

cheers

andrew

              http://archives.postgresql.org