On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 12:08:18AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Michael Fuhr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > Is anybody with a deeper understanding of the code looking at this?
>
> I tried to reproduce the problem ... no joy ...

Hmmm...not even with the example that starts from initdb?  I'm up
to date with the latest commits and I can consistently reproduce
it.  I was just about to post that TRUNCATE apparently "fixes"
the problem:

CREATE TABLE foo (t timestamptz DEFAULT now()) WITH OIDS;

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION oidtest() RETURNS integer AS $$
DECLARE
    foo_count  integer;
    foo_oid    integer;
BEGIN
    EXECUTE 'INSERT INTO foo DEFAULT VALUES';
    GET DIAGNOSTICS foo_count = ROW_COUNT;
    GET DIAGNOSTICS foo_oid = RESULT_OID;
    RAISE INFO 'ROW_COUNT = %, RESULT_OID = %', foo_count, foo_oid;
    RETURN foo_oid;
END;
$$ LANGUAGE plpgsql VOLATILE;

SELECT oidtest();
INFO:  ROW_COUNT = 1, RESULT_OID = 17008
 oidtest
---------
   17008
(1 row)

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION oidtest() RETURNS integer AS $$
DECLARE
    foo_count  integer;
    foo_oid    integer;
BEGIN
    EXECUTE 'INSERT INTO foo DEFAULT VALUES';
    GET DIAGNOSTICS foo_count = ROW_COUNT;
    GET DIAGNOSTICS foo_oid = RESULT_OID;
    RAISE INFO 'ROW_COUNT = %, RESULT_OID = %', foo_count, foo_oid;
    RETURN foo_oid;
END;
$$ LANGUAGE plpgsql VOLATILE;

SELECT oidtest();
INFO:  ROW_COUNT = <NULL>, RESULT_OID = <NULL>
 oidtest
---------

(1 row)

TRUNCATE foo;

SELECT oidtest();
INFO:  ROW_COUNT = 1, RESULT_OID = 17011
 oidtest
---------
   17011
(1 row)

Could this be platform-specific?  Right now I can only test with
Solaris 9/sparc, but if necessary I could build HEAD on FreeBSD
4.11-STABLE/i386.

Kevin, what platform are you using?

--
Michael Fuhr