The idea here is the when you comment something out, it should restore
its default.  Right now it keeps the previously uncommented out value,
which confuses people.

But the contrary position is that a comment is a comment, not something
that should act to change the state of the postmaster.
Not in any conf I have ever seen. If I comment out a parameter
I expect that the parameter will either be disabled or set to the
default depending on the parameter.

#fsync = false

Should mean:

fsync = false

--

fsync = true

Should mean:

fsync = true

--

#fsync = true:

Should mean:

fsync = false

If false is the default value.

--

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

It's probably worth pointing out that there's not consensus about all
of the TODO items, particularly not the ones Bruce has marked with
question marks.

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq