Tom Lane wrote:

Or perhaps use a different separator:

junk=# select * from xyz;
id | name | address | del_addr ----+------------+-----------------------------------+----------------------------------
 1 | Joe Bloggs | 1 Hindhead Villas,                | 2 The Laurels,
   +            + Newport,                          + Swinkley,
   +            + Gwent                             + XX3 5CX
(1 row)

That's a terrific idea, and, incidentally, just the sort of project that might well suit a beginning hacker, since the code is pretty isolated.

Not sure how hard this would be to program, or what sort of overhead it
might impose to check for the case.  My recollection is that psql's
table-layout code is pretty slow and ugly already ...

If people want speed they shouldn't use psql as a client anyway. I don't see this as much of an obstacle.

cheers

andrew

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend