On Tue, 30 Aug 2005, Tom Lane wrote:

What we are left with turns out to be multiple occurrences of the first
pathology on exactly three buildfarm members:

        ferret          Cygwin
        kudu            Solaris 9, x86
        dragonfly       Solaris 9, x86

So what to make of this?  Dunno, but it is clearly a very
platform-specific behavior.  Anyone see a connection between Cygwin
and Solaris?

One thing to note about kudu and dragonfly is that they are running under vmware. This, combined with cygwin's reputation, makes me suspect that the connection is that they are both struggling under load. Although canary (NetBSD 1.6 x86) is setup in the same fashion and has shown no such failures.

I'm also in the process of moving, so I put this machine in a box last night and it won't be up and running for a week or two. I do have very similar copies of the OS image running on other machines if you'd like me to test something specific.

Kris Jurka

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster