I just found out the databases on 8.0 where originally restored from a 7.4 server, so it seems I have never had the
lanvalidator function even while running on 8.0 for the last 10 months :-(

So how can I update my restored databases, i tried dropping the language, but it wouldn't let me becasuse of dependent objects.

Thanks,

Tony

Are you using a database that was restored from an earlier version

of PostgreSQL?  I wonder if you're not getting the lanvalidator
function.  What's the result of the following query?

SELECT lanname,
      lanplcallfoid, lanplcallfoid::regprocedure,
      lanvalidator, lanvalidator::regprocedure
FROM pg_language;

What happens if you create a fresh database and run "createlang
plpgsql" in it, and then run your tests?