Alvaro Herrera wrote:
On Sun, Sep 11, 2005 at 01:12:34PM +0200, Hans-Jürgen Schönig wrote:

in the past we have faced a couple of problems with corrupted system tables. this seems to be a version independent problem which occurs on hackers' from time to time. i have checked a broken file and i have seen that the corrupted page has actually been zeroed out.

IIRC the XFS filesystem zeroes out pages that it recovers from the
journal but did not have a fsync on them (AFAIK XFS journals only
metadata, so page creation but not the content itself).  I don't think
this would be applicable to your case, because we do fsync modified
files on checkpoint, and rewrite them completely from WAL images after
that.  But I thought I'd mention it.

alvora,

thanks a lot.
we have some reports about sun systems.
meanwhile i got the impression that the filesystem might be doing something wrong. i have seen that the page is not completely zeroed out. at some strange positions there are 2 bytes of crap (i have overlooked that at first glance). the first couple hundreds of bytes are crap, however. very strange ...

        best regards,

                hans

--
Cybertec Geschwinde & Schönig GmbH