Hi,

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005, Philip Yarra wrote:

Devrim, I had some problems installing on RedHat ES3.0 with the RPMs. This
issue turned out to be that I needed the compat libs to provide the old libs
before I could install the new libs.

I found a link to
http://developer.PostgreSQL.org/~devrim/compat-postgresql-libs-3-3PGDG.i686.rpm
in an archived post from -hackers. It wasn't all that obvious what was
required though, so is it possible that this RPM could actually be put with
the downloads for the main RPMs? I'm not sure anyone's installation would
succeed without that RPM on RedHat ES3.0. Please let me know if I'm missing
something.

We haven't discussed it before, but I think we can't put the RPM among PGDG RPMs. The main reason is that this is not a piece of software that's included within that release of PostgreSQL. Also, this compat RPM is not needed if you don't have a software that needs that RPM.

As an aside: is it possible to actually to just include the contents of
compat-libs in postgresql-libs, since they actually seem to be required? It'd
save me some hassles for future installations. Probably other folks too.

As I wrote above, it does not seem possible.

Also remember that this will be probably 'solved' in RHEL 5 (and FC 5), so merging compat with main libs package is not a good idea.

Regards,
--
Devrim GUNDUZ
Kivi Bilişim Teknolojileri - http://www.kivi.com.tr