On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 03:56:53PM +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:
> I've been using gcc 3.4 and saw no warning when using either "-Winline"
> or "-O3 -Winline".

Ok, I've just installed 3.4 and verified that. I examined the asm code
and gcc is inlining it. I concede, at this point just throw in -Winline
and monitor the situation.

As an aside, the *_getattr calls end up a bit suboptimal though. It's
producing code like:

  cmp attlen, 4
  je $elsewhere1
  cmp attlen, 2
  je $elsewhere2
  ld byte
here:

--- much later ---
elsewhere1:
  ld integer
  jmp $here
elsewhere2:
  ld short
  jmp $here

No idea whether we want to go down the path of hinting to gcc which
size will be the most common.

Have a nice day,