Alvaro Herrera wrote:

Andrew Dunstan wrote:

In the catalog, pg_type would get a new column of type text[] that would hold the list of values, and typtype would have a new possible value of 'e' for enumeration. There might be other consequential changes too, but I think that would be most of it.

Huh, why not have the actual values in a separate catalog like
pg_enumvalues or some such?

Sure, could do that. I don't have strong feelings either way.

The only functions that actually need to have any knowledge of the enumeration strings are the input/output functions and the to/from text casts. These would get the relevant info from fcinfo.flinfo ... and then looking up the type cache - not sure yet if an extra cache operation is needed.

It'd be interesting to measure the difference of having the cache vs.
not having it.

Possibly. I would expect it to make a noticeable difference.

Thinking on how to pg_dump the whole thing is important too.

Yes, that would certainly be part of the work. I should have mentioned that. It's not a showstopper, though - I see no reason in principal for it to be a difficulty.

cheers

andrew