Pollard, Mike schrieb:
If count(<col>) convert <col> to a string (an assumption that Martijn
has cast into doubt, or perhaps shredded), then rather than convert all
non-nulls that are not a string into a string, I was proposing
converting the values into an int with the values 0 or 1 (0 means that
row was null for that column, 1 means that row was not null;, since
count(<col>) means count the non-null rows in <col>).

I'm not getting how you got this idea of count() doing any conversion?
It does not and there is nothing in the docs wich would lead to this.

Anyway, to make a short story long.  The idea is rather than convert the
column into a string, convert it into a value indicating whether the
column was null or not null (which is all count cares about).  In any
case, it's moot idea since it appears Postgres already does that.

No, count does not convert. It just counts all non null values.
If you want to count rows, just use count(*).

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend