On Fri, 18 Nov 2005, Josh Berkus wrote:

Alvaro,

I guess there must be a query-rewriting mechanism for implementing
materialized views.  With that in place we may be able to implement this
other thing ...  Is anybody working on materialized views?

I have a bundle of academic code designed to do exactly this, if any hacker
wants to take on the task of getting it into production shape.

Could you post it to the list? I'd be interested to take a look, though I'm afraid don't have the time to work on it.

I've been reading some papers on materialized views lately. Here's some interesting ones:

Blakeley, Larson, Tompa: Efficiently Updating Materialized View
http://tinyurl.com/8hqeo
Describes a fairly simple algorithm for keeping select-project-join views up to date.

Vista: View Maintenance in Relational and Deductive Databases by Incremental Query Evaluation
http://tinyurl.com/exb8o
A survey of various algorithms.

Gupta, Mumick, Subrahmanian: Maintaining Views Incrementally
http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=170066
Extended abstract of a paper that presents two algorithms: one similar to the Blakeley paper, and another one that can also handle recursion.

Ross, Srivastava, Sudarshan: Materialized View Maintenance and Integrity Constraint Checking: Trading Space for Time
http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/ross96materialized.html
Describes how materialized views can be used for implementing database assertions.

- Heikki

              http://archives.postgresql.org