Tom Lane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Michael Fuhr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > I usually check both in my own code but I noticed several places
> > where PostgreSQL doesn't, so I kept that style.  I'll check both
> > if that's preferred.
>
> I'd say not --- it's more code and it makes a possibly unwarranted
> assumption about strtol's behavior.

Generally speaking looking at errno when you haven't received an error return
from a libc function is asking for trouble. It could be leftover from any
previous libc error.

That's how you get programs saying things like "strtol: No such file or
directory" ...

    The strtol() function returns the result of the conversion, unless the value
    would underflow or overflow. If an underflow occurs, strtol() returns
    LONG_MIN. If an overflow occurs, strtol() returns LONG_MAX. In both cases,
    errno is set to ERANGE. Precisely the same holds for strtoll() (with
LLONG_MIN
    and LLONG_MAX instead of LONG_MIN and LONG_MAX).

--
greg