Andrew,

> And if postgres could actually use an infiniband fabric for
> clustering a single database instance across Opteron servers, that
> would be very impressive...

That's what we do with Bizgres MPP.  We've implemented an interconnect to do
the data shuffling underneath the optimizer/executor and we currently use
TCP/IP, though we could haul out SDP over Infiniband should we need it.

However, our optimizer effectively minimizes traffic over the interconnect now
and that works well for all of the plans we've run so far.  It would be nice to
characterize the improvements we could get from moving to 3x infiniband.

Regarding a direct Hypertransport to Infiniband bridge, have you looked at
Pathscale? http://www.pathscale.com/  I know the fellow behind the scenes who
designed it, and I think it's probably well thought out.  We were gunning for
less than 1us RTT through the adapter and switch once, and I bet they are close.

- Luke

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend