Tom Lane wrote:

Christopher Kings-Lynne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
So it appears that pg_md5_encrypt is not officially exported from libpq. Does anyone see a problem with adding it to the export list and the header file?

Is it different to normal md5? How is this helpful to the phpPgAdmin project?

It would be better to export an API that is (a) less random (why one
input null-terminated and the other not?) and (b) less tightly tied
to MD5 --- the fact that the caller knows how long the result must be
is the main problem here.

Something like
        char *pg_gen_encrypted_passwd(const char *passwd, const char *user)
with malloc'd result (or NULL on failure) seems more future-proof.

Where are we on this? In general I agree with Tom, but I have no time to do the work. Unless someone has an immediate implementation, I suggest that pro tem we add pg_md5_encrypt to src/interfaces/libpq/exports.txt, which is the minimum needed to unbreak Windows builds, while this gets sorted out properly.

cheers

andrew

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend