Doug McNaught wrote:

c) treat EINTR as an I/O error (I don't know how easy this would be)

So then at this point - it is detected, so problem solved?

If a LOCAL hard drive fails to reply, you hang. Same with hard,intr
NFS file system.

        bytesRead = read(fd, buffer, requestedBytes);

        if (bytesRead < 0) {
                switch (errno) {

                case EAGAIN:
#ifdef USING_RECORD_LOCKING_OR_NON_BLOCKING_IO
                        ...do the above read() again...
#else
                /*FALLTHRU*/
#endif
                default:
                        ... log error and errno...
                        break;
                }

        } else if (bytesRead == 0) {
                ...AT EOF...

        } else if (bytesRead < requestdBytes) {
                ...if you care, loop on read until
                remaining bytes are fetched
                or at EOF...
        }

        return(bytesRead);

d) say "if you mount 'soft' and lose data, tough luck for you"

I seem to recall from my days at Sun, you should NOT use soft
mount for NFS writes at all. Soft mounts are for non-critical
disk resources. (Solaris admin  manual?)

--

Doug Royer                     | http://INET-Consulting.com
-------------------------------|-----------------------------

              We Do Standards - You Need Standards

begin:vcard
fn:Doug Royer
n:Royer;Doug
org:INET-Consulting.com
adr:;;;;;;U.S.A
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:CEO
tel;work:866-594-8574
tel;fax:866-594-8574
note;quoted-printable:AOL: SupportUnix=0D=0A=
	MSN: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
	Yahoo: Help4Unix
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://Royer.com