On Tue, 3 Jan 2006, Tino Wildenhain wrote:

One thing that bothers me slightly is that we would need to look up each
name (at least until we found a match) for each connection. If you had
lots of names in your pg_hba.conf that could be quite a hit.

A possible answer to that is to *not* look up the names from
pg_hba.conf, but instead restrict the feature to matching the
reverse-DNS name of the client.  This limits the cost to one lookup per
connection instead of N (and it'd be essentially free if you have
log_hostnames turned on, since we already do that lookup in that case).

Or alternatively (documented) scan and translate the names
only on restart or sighup. This would limit the overhead
and changes to the confile-scanner only and would
at least enable symbolic names in the config files.
(Of course w/o any wildcards - that would be the drawback)

That's what I suggested yesterday, but others didn't like it and the possibility of using /etc/hosts or a name server on the local network to mitigate speed concerns makes me think they're right.

Jon

--
Jon Jensen
End Point Corporation