Folks,

I just stumbled across a little problem that looks like this:

CREATE TABLE foo (
    id SERIAL PRIMARY KEY,
    f_text TEXT NOT NULL
);

CREATE UNIQUE INDEX uniq_foo_f_text ON foo(LOWER(TRIM(f_text)));

COPY foo(f_text) FROM stdin;
\.

Oh, shucks.  I'd like to permute these.  Lemme start a transaction:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]> BEGIN;
BEGIN
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> UPDATE foo set f_text = 'a' where id=3;
ERROR:  duplicate key violates unique constraint "uniq_foo_f_text"

Dang!  Everything was going to be kosher at the end of the
transaction, but I never got a chance.

Is there some way to make the index check INITIALLY DEFERRABLE the way
a regular column/table constraint could be?

I'd much appreciate any insights into this :)

Cheers,
David Fetter [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://fetter.org/
phone: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!