On Sat, 2006-01-21 at 12:48 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Rod Taylor wrote:
> > Is there any way of bumping this limit or am I stuck breaking up the
> > transaction?
>
> Wow, I never heard of anyone reaching the limit :-(  Sorry, you are
> stuck (short of changing CommandId to 64 bits, which would bloat your
> tables considerably ...)

Does a subtransaction receive an independent command counter?  If so, I
could shove a bunch of work into large subtransactions allowing me to
avoid bumping the main transactions command counter.

Heck, PostgreSQL could automatically create a subtransaction (savepoint)
with no rollback name. The client sending a commit or rollback always
operates on the parent transaction and the child follows (committing or
rolling back when required).

       match