Jim C. Nasby wrote:

On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 11:36:15AM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
James William Pye wrote:
Why should initdb give it [processing
information] to the user if the user didn't request it in the first
place?
Because it shows important information that we want the user to see.

Plus it can be a fairly long-running process on slower machines, so
providing feedback to the user is good.

Moreover, we should not change behaviour just on aesthetic grounds. For example, if initdb were suddenly to become quiet by default, we would need to add some version-specific processing to the buildfarm.

As for a --quiet option, I just don't see why it is needed when >/dev/null works perfectly well.

cheers

andrew