Mark Woodward wrote:

I don't understand what you mean by PostgreSQL trying to be neutral.
Postgres focuses on what it's good at, being a database. It's not
really for or against anything. The PostgreSQL team is not interested
in maintaining code that so clearly falls outside of the scope.

That is more or less what I'm writing about. I wish people wouldn't take
it as an insult or slam, because it isn't. (I keep saying, I think
PostgreSQL is amazing, and I've been using it for about a decade.) The
source code to PostgreSQL implements a SQL database, the PostgreSQL
Project defines a community creating and using this database.

Is the scope "the source code" or is the scope "The Postgresql Project?" I
think it can be said that getting more people using PostgreSQL is within
the scope of "The PostgreSQL Project." As the open source model promises,
we trust that the more people who use PostgreSQL the better off "The
PostgreSQL Project" will be. The better "The PostgreSQL Project" is,
theoretically, the more numerous the resources for the project will
become, makeing the community better able to improve the source code.

The community is an important part of "scope."

There clearly is a difference, but you started this Mark by asking to bundle your xmldbx with the core distribution (into "contrib") - thus implying "source code".

Now - there might well be a good argument for an xmldbx package that users can one-click install. Since I've got dozens of xxx-pgsql packages available this way on my Ubuntu desktop, I'm guessing you're thinking more of Windows.

So, if we reword your question: "Is there, or should there be a simple way to download and install packages/plugins for PostgreSQL via the installer?" Now you've got "No" and "Yes" as your answers, but that's got nowt to do with "contrib/".

Of course, there's still the small issue of implementation...
--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend