Christopher Browne wrote:
Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:
Hi,
On Mon, 2006-01-30 at 21:27 -0500, Jonah H. Harris wrote:
I had to deal with an installer written in python and several in
Java... IMHO, Java would be a better language for this and you could
build off some nice OSS installers that already exist (such as
IzPack).  Just my 2 cents :)
Bundling Java is a pain, so we'd better stay away from that.

There's always gcj. It's pretty mature by now. I'm not sure about
availability compared to Python though, but I find it hard to believe
it would be more painful.

On several occasions, I have installed graphical Python apps; it has
never been the bag of worms involved in getting a Java environment
into place...

Install gcj and you're up and running, graphics and all. What's the problem (besides your obvious aversion to Java)?

Or take it one step further and use gcj to compile the Java code into statically linked binaries. Where's the pain, really?

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend