A nice workaraound because

EXECUTE 'select nextval(''test'')' INTO I;

doesnt work in 8.0 seems to be:

myid:=nextval('stvtrsid_seq'::TEXT);

This seems to work in every case.

Daniel

Jaime Casanova schrieb:

try this way:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION testseq() RETURNS void AS
$BODY$
BEGIN
 EXECUTE 'CREATE TEMP SEQUENCE test';
 PERFORM testseq1();
 DROP SEQUENCE test;
 RETURN;
END;
$BODY$
LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE;
ALTER FUNCTION testseq() OWNER TO postgres;

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION testseq1() RETURNS void AS
$BODY$
DECLARE I INTEGER;
BEGIN
 EXECUTE 'select nextval(''test'')' INTO I;
raise notice '%', I;
 RETURN;
END;
$BODY$
LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE;
ALTER FUNCTION testseq1() OWNER TO postgres;

SELECT testseq();
SELECT testseq();

is the same problem as with temp tables, you must put their creation,
and in this case even the nextval in an execute...

--
regards,
Jaime Casanova

      match