Tom Lane wrote:
Thomas Hallgren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
What do you think of my earlier suggestion. Skip all the 'create function' statements and just add the "AS 'filename' LANGUAGE C" to the CREATE TYPE.

Very little, as it makes unjustifiable assumptions about all the
datatype's support functions being predictably propertied.  (There's
more than one possible signature, let alone any secondary properties
such as volatility or other stuff we might think of in future.)
I think it'd be unworkable from pg_dump's point of view, as well.

I wasn't aware that there was more then one possible signature. What other signatures are possible (I have a working draft in PL/Java now and I don't want to miss anything)?

Just a thought, but future properties like volatility should perhaps be annotations on the type rather than on its functions?

I guess the pg_dump problem that you're thinking of is that there's no way to associate the functions with the type that they would belong to. Perhaps this could be done by adding a 'protype oid' column to the pg_proc table? Introducing that would probably help introducing SQL 2003 semantics further on (I'm thinking of methods that belongs to types. Not very different from a function taking the type as it's first argument).

In any case; at present I use a dummy function to circumvent the Java function shell type problem. What was the outcome of the shell type discussion? Will a 'CREATE TYPE xxx AS SHELL' or similar be considered for 8.2?

Kind Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster