Tom Lane wrote:
Andrew Dunstan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
Personally, I doubt there's any great use case for DNS names. Like Tom says, if it involves much more that removing the AI_NUMERICHOST hint then let's forget it.

Perhaps more to the point: let's do that and wait to see if the field
demand justifies expending lots of sweat on anything smarter.  Given
that we've gone this long with only allowing numeric IPs in pg_hba.conf,
I suspect we'll find that few people really care.

Well as one of the people that deploys and managees many, many postgresql installations I can say I have never run into the need to have dns names and the thought of dns names honestly seems silly. It will increase overhead and dependencies that I just wouldn't want in my installations.

Joshua D. Drake

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq