Maybe I'm too used to working in engineering groups. I am trying to get
input for a project. Trying to iron out what the feature set should be and
the objectives that should be attained. BEFORE I start coding.

Well that is always a good idea but:

Just saying "submit a patch" is the antithesis to good engineering, it
works for hacking, but if I am going to develop a feature, I wish to do it
right and have it appeal to the broadest possible audience, collect as
much input about the needs of users, etc.
The problem you are having is that sense many people do not see a benefit it is hard
to garner the feedback, thus the fallback to submit a patch.

If you submit a patch there is a chance that people will see the benefit within a simple
implementation and THEN you get the feedback you want.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq