Bruce Momjian wrote:

Tom Lane wrote:
What's your point?  The script fails anyway if that bit doesn't work.
Is 'id' better than what we have now if 'id' isn't widely supported?
I'm repeating myself, but: what's your point?  'id' exists on Linux,
and the script fails (in the worst possible way, ie, might remove
inappropriate shmem segments) on all other platforms if it's unable
to detect the correct EffectiveUser.  I would argue that checking for a
numeric, nonzero EffectiveUser is going to make it safer not less so.

If it can be done more reliably than what we do not.  We support much
more than Linix, and I have not seen anyway say 'id' is available on all
platforms.  We can try 'id' if it exists and fall back if it doesn't.

perl -e 'exit  $> != 0 ;'

succeeds iff your effective uid is not 0.

or we could revive pg_id.

(for the humor impaired, no, I am not serious.)

cheers

andrew

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq