Jim C. Nasby wrote:

Adding -hackers.
[removing -buildfarm :-) ]

Ok, lets go back to my original point then: initdb should be made to
check that you can actually open as many connections as it's trying to
set max_connections to. If it can't, it should drop max_connections down
(and possibly add a note to postgresql.conf indicating that it did so).

At the time it sets max_connections there is no server to test against. initdb in fact never uses a standard client connection at all, and never starts postmaster. To do a check on max_connections you would have to start postmaster and then try to start that many client connections. That's a lot of extra lifting to put into initdb for what is arguably at worst a rare problem.

cheers

andrew

              http://archives.postgresql.org