Recursive calls works in PL/Java. No problem there. But the larger the set, the more memory it consumes. Do I read your answers correctly if I conclude this is a known limitation when SPI is used? I.e. there's no way to stream one row at a time without ever building the full set?

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

Andrew Dunstan wrote:
Tom Lane wrote:

plpgsql and similar languages will return a tuplestore anyway, so it has
to handle that case, and it was convenient to make all the cases look
alike for starters.  Nobody's yet gone back to improve it for the case
of languages that return a tuple per call.

This would be hard to do in the plperl case, at least, and I would be surprised if it weren't in most others too. So what plperl does is to fetch the whole set on the first call and then fudges all the other calls to get the next element from the result set. We save out the intermediate tuple store on each call and restore it afterwards, so I think recursion shouldn't be a difficulty.

cheers

andrew

      match