On Mar 24, 2006, at 7:25 AM, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:

Anyway, looking at the manpage of otool it doesn't say that it just
prints the raw name, so perhaps it's doing the same as ldd. To be sure
you'd need to strings the binary to see what it says.

Yes, strings shows the full path of prefix provided to configure. And I can tell you from experience it is not relocatable :).

Here is a bug I recently filed for pgAdmin which discusses the use of install_name_tool to make the reference relative. Certainly it would be better if they could be compiled with relative references, but at least I found a solution without having to understand gcc.

http://www.pgadmin.org/archives/pgadmin-support/2006-03/msg00053.php

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL