David Fetter wrote:

doesn't report anything by way of --sysconfdir, which in turn means
that people have to do some fragile hackery in order even to see a
pg_service.conf file.  Can we put such a configuration directive
into the binary builds?  Is this known to work?
In any case, the default is $prefix/etc which is probably not what
you want anyway - why not set the PGSYSCONFDIR environment variable
to point to where you put the service  file?

Let's turn that question around.  Why *shouldn't* there be a default
built in?  "No default" seems like a pretty poor fall-through.

On further investigation, this appears to be an artifact of the directory not existing, causing GetShortPathName to return an empty string, as noted in this comment:

* This can fail in 2 ways - if the path doesn't exist, or short names are
* disabled. In the first case, don't return any path.

I think maybe we need a pg_config switch to allow us to fall back to GetFullPathName, which does not fail if the target doesn't exist. After all, it's cold comfort that libpq probably does the right thing if we don't have any reasonable way of finding out what that is.

In the case of Windows binary packages, the place that actually works is apparently $bindir/../etc

thoughts?

cheers

andrew