On Mar 31, 2006, at 20:02, Tom Lane wrote:

You can give `configure' initial values for configuration parameters by setting variables in the command line or in the environment. Here
   is an example:

     ./configure CC=c89 CFLAGS=-O2 LIBS=-lposix

This isn't super helpful, of course, since it doesn't say exactly which
variables any particular autoconf script responds to.  But pretty much
all of the programs that a configure script searches for are reflected
as variables. A quick grep through our configure script for the phrase
"Let the user override" finds a couple dozen hits, and that's just for
programs, never mind non-program variables.

Right, but me, while I compile lots of stuff, I don't understand configure or autconf at all. So I was completely unaware of this feature. I'm very pleased to know it now, of course. But I don't see how it could be any harm to add notes to the INSTALL file explicitly letting users know how to do stuff like this. The INSTALL file is, after all, what folks like me read when looking for information beyond ./configure && make && make install. It would have helped me a lot, and I see no disadvantage to including it.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

David

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq