On Apr 2, 2006, at 17:47, Robert Treat wrote:

ISTM that by any measure of the general population, David Wheeler is a
hard-core geek. :-) Actually by most measures of the "programming/ oss community" he is a hard core geek. But he still got tripped up by this. A lot of people never get passed ./configure;make;make install even though they
do a lot of coding on oss projects. Why turn these people away?

/me blushes

Maybe I am a hard-core OSS hacker, I'm just not a C hacker (and not familiar with the OSS C distribution stuff). But I'd be happy to work on a patch that creates a table like that described by Tom. I think that would help folks like me (and even soft core OSS hackers ;-)) a lot.

Cheers,

David