I think there are two things people typically want to know from the logs:
1) Is autovacuum running
2) Did autovacuum take action (issue a VACUUM or ANALYZE)

I don't think we need mention the name of each and every database we touch, we can, but it should be at a lower level like DEBUG1 or something.

I don't know what logging level these thing should go at, but I for one would like them to be fairly high easy to get to, perhaps NOTICE?

Matt

Bruce Momjian wrote:
Tom Lane wrote:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bruce Momjian) writes:
Change log message about vacuuming database name from LOG to DEBUG1.
Prevents duplicate meaningless log messsages.
Could we have some discussion about this sort of thing, rather than
unilateral actions?

Those messages were at LOG level because otherwise it's difficult to be
sure from the log that autovac is running at all.

OK, so what do we want to do?  Clearly outputing something everytime
pg_autovacuum touches a database isn't ideal.  By default, the server
logs should show significant events, which this is not.

Do we want something output only the first time autovacuum runs?