Those messages were at LOG level because otherwise it's difficult to be
sure from the log that autovac is running at all.

OK, so what do we want to do?  Clearly outputing something everytime
pg_autovacuum touches a database isn't ideal.  By default, the server
logs should show significant events, which this is not.

Do we want something output only the first time autovacuum runs?

I've considered several times proposing that I want to be able to turn off or do something about autovacuum log messages. I just always thought it would be rejected.

I have it set up so that I get the last few hundred lines of my postgres logs mailed to me each day. However, most of the time I just get a few hundred autovacuum messages. So, I had to much around with grepping out the autovacuum lines, etc.

I personally don't see the point of there being soooo many of those autovacuum log messages...

Chris

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq