On May 16, 2006, at 16:53, Mark Dilger wrote:

Sorry, I meant to say that it should only be a no-op according to the language specification, as I understand it. The fact that it works suggests to me that the implementation of PL/pgsql has been modified (or broken?). Whether the
change is a bug or an intentional feature change, I don't know.

Ah, yes, I agree, and that's why I posted my query.

mark

P.S., Looking through the documentation, I don't immediately see the spec for how a regular '=' is supposed to work, but assignment is documented as using the
':=' syntax and says nothing about '='.

Exactly. But I use = all the time for comparision:

  IF FOUND = TRUE THEN
  END IF

Best,

David