Hannu Krosing <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Ühel kenal päeval, T, 2006-05-23 kell 09:37, kirjutas Tom Lane:
>>> I propose: ALTER TABLE childN INHERITS ();
>>> Thus I also think, that the list should be complete, and is not an
>>> addition to existing inheritance.
>>
>> Don't like that at all: it seems far too error-prone.

> In what way ?

It seems like it'd be awfully easy to unintentionally disinherit a child
table from a parent.

In a situation where you're only using single inheritance, it hardly
matters of course, but for multiple inheritance it just seems like a
way to shoot yourself in the foot.  ISTM it'd be safer to have an
explicit disinherit-from-this-parent operation.

> In the first case, I'd propose following syntax

> ALTER TABLE childN ALTER INHERITS DROP (parent);
> ALTER TABLE childN ALTER INHERITS ADD (parent);

I could live with that.  Do we need the parens?

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq