I was just telling one of the ways to avoid the conflicts. It
generally happens that a newbie adds the cygwin paths to the env
variables and if he forgets to remove those, then, you know better,
which tools he'd be using!!! In such cases, a less experienced person
would just give up.

   I remember that if I hadn't had that small peice of advice from
AumAum, I was on the verge of giving up on trying the mingw
installation aftar failing 3 times!!!

<quote>
It's crucial to crack the tarballs into /mingw (C:\msys\n.n\mingw),
because if you crack any of them into / (C:\msys\n.n), you'll cause
some subtle conflicts between MSYS and the MinGW tools which will
cause your compilations to fail.
</quote>
from http://www.mingw.org/MinGWiki/index.php/RealDumbQuickstart

    So my suggestion was just to at least rename the folder
temporarily till sibel gets everything started.

   Moreover, I dont think one would need cygwin after having mingw. I
might be wrong!

   Yes, I agree your approach is more non-intrusive.

   Sibel, just add the method of 'removing cygwin's paths from
environment variables (if they exist)' to the top of the
pre-requisites-list before you try installing mingw.

   Sorry for uiintentionally misleading someone, if I did!

Regards,
Gurjeet

On 5/25/06, Andrew Dunstan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Gurjeet Singh said:
>    Also, I would recommend uninstalling cygwin before you install
> mingw,

>    If you don't wish to uninstall cygwin, at least rename the folder
> to someting else (cygwin.before.mingw) so that you don't accidentally
> use cygwin's binaries.

This is complete nonsense. I have Cygwin and Mingw/Msys living quite happily
side by side on the same box. Each is largely ignorant of the other.

Of course, if you add Cygwin to the system path you can cause problems, so
don't do that. But there is no need at all that I know of to uninstall or
rename anything.

If you have problems with your setup please ask for help, instead of handing
out wrong advice.

cheers

andrew

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq