Tom Lane wrote:
Andreas Pflug <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

I propose to introduce a GUC "permanent_archiving" or so, to select whether wal archiving happens permanently or only when a backup is in progress (i.e. between pg_start_backup and pg_stop_backup).

This is silly.  Why not just turn archiving on and off?

Not quite. I want online backup, but no archiving. Currently, I have to edit postgresql.conf and SIGHUP to "turn on archiving" configuring a (hopefully) writable directory, do the backup, edit postgresql.conf and SIGHUP again. Not too convenient...

Regards,
Andreas

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq