=?windows-1252?Q?Hans-J=FCrgen_Sch=F6nig?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> But the code does a check where the second character should not be
> greater than 0x9F, when first character is 0xED. This is not according
> to UTF-8 standard in RFC 3629.

Better read the RFC again: it says

   UTF8-3      = %xE0 %xA0-BF UTF8-tail / %xE1-EC 2( UTF8-tail ) /
                 %xED %x80-9F UTF8-tail / %xEE-EF 2( UTF8-tail )

The reason for the prohibition is explained as

  The definition of UTF-8 prohibits encoding character numbers between
  U+D800 and U+DFFF, which are reserved for use with the UTF-16 encoding
  form (as surrogate pairs) and do not directly represent characters.

I don't know anything about "surrogate pairs", but I am not about to
decide that we know more about this than the RFC authors do.  If they
say it's invalid, it's invalid.

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend