Josh Berkus wrote:
Andrew,

What happened was that Tom objected to (or at least queried the need
for) the patch on the grounds that it was bloat that nobody had asked
for. And when I asked I wasn't exactly deluged with requests to commit,
so I concluded that it was not generally wanted.

Did you poll on -hackers or on -patches? A *lot* less people read -patches.

Yeah. true. Although, I must say that I discovered very early on in my pg-hacking experience that unless you read -patches too you don't really know what's going on ;-)

This has been a problem in the past. I'd generally ask that, if a patch which was discussed on -hackers gets rejected on -patches, that discussion be brought back to -hackers. Often the people who supported the original feature are not on -patches and then are unpleasantly surprised when the feature they though was accepted doesn't show up in the next version.

Fair point. Maybe I only posted on -patches.

cheers

andrew