Steve Atkins wrote:

Would that be adequate, or do we really want to reimplement and maintain all
the output format complexity in our own code, in C?

Code to produce CSVs is there, now, today, and has been since 8.0. That is *not* what is at issue here. If you want to debate whether or not it should be in the backend you are 2 years too late. The ONLY question here is about whether or not to have it enabled as an option in pg_dump.

try these and see the interesting results:
 COPY pg_class TO '/tmp/pg_class.csv' CSV;
or in psql
 \copy pg_class to '/tmp/pg_class.csv' csv

As for XML which was also mentioned, you should be aware that there is a Google Summer of Code project to implement SQL/XML, so watch this space. (As for why that needs to be in the backend, see previous discussions)

cheers

andrew