On Jun 15, 2006, at 9:45 PM, Toru SHIMOGAKI wrote:

NTT has some ideas about index creation during a large amount of data loading. Our approach is the following: index tuples are created at the same time as heap tuples and added into heapsort. In addition, we use old index tuples as sorted list if the target table has already data. It is not necessary for data loader to sort all the index tuples including old ones. After only new index tuples are sorted, both sorted lists are merged and the whole index is built. It can save both CPU resources and disk accesses dramatically, especially if the target table has already so many tuples. This approach needs to acquire a table lock, which is unlike COPY's lock mode, so we have developed it as another bulk load tool. We will talk about it in PostgreSQL Anniversary Conference at Toronto. Thank you for Josh’s coordination.

So does that mean you're able to do all that without hacking the back- end? Impressive. :)

I look forward to hearing about it.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Sr. Engineering Consultant      [EMAIL PROTECTED]