On Jun 13, 2006, at 9:42 PM, Kris Kennaway wrote:
BTW, there's another FBSD performance odditiy I've run across. Running

pg_dump -t email_contrib -COx stats | bzip2 > ec.sql.bz2 &

which dumps the email_contrib table to bzip2 then to disk, the OS
won't use more than 1 CPU on an SMP system... unless the data is
cached. According to both gstat and systat -v, the system isn't I/O
bound; both are reporting the RAID10 with that table on it as only
about 10% busy. If I let that command run for a bit then cancel it
and re-start it so that the beginning of that table is in cache, it
will use one entire CPU for bzip2, which is what I'd expect to happen.

Hmm, odd..maybe something with the scheduler.  I'd need access to a
test case to be able to figure it out though.

well, pg_dump of any sizeable database piped through bzip2 or gzip should show this. Try:

pg_dump large_database | bzip2 > databasedump.sql.bz2
--
Jim C. Nasby, Sr. Engineering Consultant      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

      match