Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:

Andrew Dunstan wrote:
Why are we actually looking up anything? Just so we can bind to a
listening socket?

Anyway, maybe the box needs a lookup line in its /etc/resolv.conf to
direct it to use files first, something like

lookup file bind

Stefan, can you look into that? It would be a bit ugly if it's calling
DNS (and failing) to resolve localhost.

no - resolving localhost works fine (both using /etc/hosts and through
the dns-resolver) - and I infact verified that when we initially started
to investigate that issue a while ago :-)

Why are we looking up 'kaltenbrunner.cc' at all then? In any case, can we just try with that resolver line?

The question isn't whether is succeeds, it's how long it takes to succeed. When I increased the pg_regress timeout it actually went through the whole regression test happily. I suspect we have 2 things eating up the 60s timeout here: loading the timezone db and resolving whatever it is we are trying to resolve.

cheers

andrew